Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Kasey Kahne’s victory on Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway saved the season for himself and his No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports team.
In order to hang with them, Team Penske, and everybody else during the Chase for the Sprint Cup, Kahne recognizes that he and his entire team need to step up – and step up big.
“We need to build off of this,” Kahne told NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan in Victory Lane at Atlanta. “We have more confidence, we’re gonna have some momentum, and we won at the right time. But as a team, we need to be stronger together.
“We need to make less mistakes – myself, the pit crew, every part of it. Hopefully, tonight will get us all pointed in the right direction. We’ll show up at Richmond and go all-out again, and be prepared for the first [Chase] race in Chicago.”
For more of Kahne’s interview with Ryan, as well as Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman‘s own thoughts on how Kahne will fare in the post-season, check out the NASCAR AMERICA clip above.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14