Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
It was quite a day at the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals, as four new winners were crowned at the NHRA Mello Yellow Drag Racing Series’ marquee event Monday in Indianapolis.
Richie Crampton continued the banner weekend for Australians – his countryman Will Power captured the Verizon IndyCar Series championship Saturday night – with a final round win for Morgan Lucas Racing over Steve Torrence in Top Fuel.
In Funny Car, Alexis DeJoria scored her third win of the season by beating John Force. DeJoria’s 0.037 reaction time off the line trumped Force’s 0.071. The two ran nearly identical elapsed times with DeJoria posting a 4.038 to Force’s 4.039; Force ran faster (319.67 to 310.34) but the quicker reaction and ETs netted DeJoria the win.
Shane Gray took the Pro Stock win after Dave Connolly’s car incurred some sort of mechanical problem off the line. In Pro Stock Motorcycle, Eddie Krawiec took his 25th career win and first in the U.S. Nationals after edging Jerry Savoie.
Not only were the winners determined, but the 10 drivers in each of the four classes were determined for the NHRA’s Countdown, the final six races that decide the championship there.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 2
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 5
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0