Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
It was quite a day at the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals, as four new winners were crowned at the NHRA Mello Yellow Drag Racing Series’ marquee event Monday in Indianapolis.
Richie Crampton continued the banner weekend for Australians – his countryman Will Power captured the Verizon IndyCar Series championship Saturday night – with a final round win for Morgan Lucas Racing over Steve Torrence in Top Fuel.
In Funny Car, Alexis DeJoria scored her third win of the season by beating John Force. DeJoria’s 0.037 reaction time off the line trumped Force’s 0.071. The two ran nearly identical elapsed times with DeJoria posting a 4.038 to Force’s 4.039; Force ran faster (319.67 to 310.34) but the quicker reaction and ETs netted DeJoria the win.
Shane Gray took the Pro Stock win after Dave Connolly’s car incurred some sort of mechanical problem off the line. In Pro Stock Motorcycle, Eddie Krawiec took his 25th career win and first in the U.S. Nationals after edging Jerry Savoie.
Not only were the winners determined, but the 10 drivers in each of the four classes were determined for the NHRA’s Countdown, the final six races that decide the championship there.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1