Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
It was quite a day at the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals, as four new winners were crowned at the NHRA Mello Yellow Drag Racing Series’ marquee event Monday in Indianapolis.
Richie Crampton continued the banner weekend for Australians – his countryman Will Power captured the Verizon IndyCar Series championship Saturday night – with a final round win for Morgan Lucas Racing over Steve Torrence in Top Fuel.
In Funny Car, Alexis DeJoria scored her third win of the season by beating John Force. DeJoria’s 0.037 reaction time off the line trumped Force’s 0.071. The two ran nearly identical elapsed times with DeJoria posting a 4.038 to Force’s 4.039; Force ran faster (319.67 to 310.34) but the quicker reaction and ETs netted DeJoria the win.
Shane Gray took the Pro Stock win after Dave Connolly’s car incurred some sort of mechanical problem off the line. In Pro Stock Motorcycle, Eddie Krawiec took his 25th career win and first in the U.S. Nationals after edging Jerry Savoie.
Not only were the winners determined, but the 10 drivers in each of the four classes were determined for the NHRA’s Countdown, the final six races that decide the championship there.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and he wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14