Sep 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
MAVTV issued a release during the Verizon IndyCar Series’ weekend at Auto Club Speedway confirming a two-year title sponsorship extension of the race through 2016.
Owned and operated by Forrest Lucas’ Lucas Oil Products, MAVTV has served as the Fontana, Calif. race’s title sponsor (MAVTV 500) since the track returned to the schedule in 2012.
“MAVTV anchors its entertainment in motorsports, and we do a lot throughout the year to bolster support for many forms of racing around this great country,” said MAVTV president Bob Patison in the release. “MAVTV is headquartered in Corona, Calif., only a few miles from the magnificent Auto Club Speedway. We feel it’s almost a responsibility for us to support a premier track and event in our own backyard that features one of the top professional racing series in America.”
While this release was issued, INDYCAR has not issued a release of its own confirming the return to ACS.
A date for the IndyCar race weekend in 2015 has not been determined; selected races have been announced for the 2015 schedule, but Auto Club Speedway is not yet one of them.
Although Auto Club has hosted the last race of the season each of the last three years, it’s had a different date each year. It ran September 15, 2012, October 19, 2013 and just now, August 30, 2014.
Here’s a picture of the release as distributed from the track.
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 1
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2
- Can IndyCar’s next generation take it to the established veterans? 1
- Fernando Alonso talks return in Malaysian GP 2
- Nowhere to go but up for Lotus at Malaysia GP 3
- Malaysian Grand Prix highlights NBCSN’s weekend of motors coverage 0