Sep 2, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Andretti Autosport has three of its four 2014 cars locked down for next year, and the potential exists for the team to add a fifth full-time car for the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series season per Michael Andretti’s wishes expressed ahead of the Milwaukee IndyFest race.
Meanwhile one of Andretti’s 2014 commercial partners appears set to return to IndyCar for 2015 and beyond.
United Fiber & Data, which upped its involvement this year to become primary sponsor of both James Hinchcliffe’s IndyCar and Matthew Brabham’s Indy Lights car, addressed rumors it might not be returning with a declarative “we’re here, and we’re staying” tweet on Labor Day Monday.
UFD’s presence this year has extended beyond the drivers themselves. Their activation has included the UFD Girls, who were present at all Verizon IndyCar Series races this season.
As for whose racecars UFD will be adorning next year, that still remains a mystery.
Hinchcliffe does not yet have a contract signed, but is working towards returning with Andretti Autosport for 2015.
Brabham’s status is yet to be determined with Andretti not yet having committed to an Indy Lights program next year, as that series prepares to introduce the new Dallara IL15 chassis.
Michael Andretti told MotorSportsTalk at Milwaukee he “has a lot of time” for Brabham and will look to keep him involved under the team fold in some way, shape or form over the offseason and into 2015.
UFD returning is a good thing – and we await to see whether it will be an encore for Hinchcliffe and UFD in the No. 27 Honda or whether it could potentially shift within the paddock.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6