Sep 3, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT
NBCSN’s viewership numbers for its 12 Verizon IndyCar Series telecasts this season posted a 34 percent year-on-year increase over 2013.
The average number of viewers per race was 378,000, up from 282,000 in 2013. Since the series’ 10-year contract began with the network formerly known as VERSUS in 2009, this was the second highest yearly number (402,000 in 2011) in six seasons.
The first race from Toronto shifted to Sunday morning on CNBC due to rain; it was originally set for NBCSN on Saturday. A full release on the viewership gains is linked here, via the NBC Sports Group Press Box website.
“The viewership increases this year clearly demonstrate the benefits of everyone in the industry working together,” Jon Miller, President, Programming, NBC Sports & NBCSN, said in the release. “Our two organizations successfully cooperated to reduce scheduling conflicts; drivers and teams delivered thrilling races week after week; our marketing department drove viewers to telecasts by utilizing all of our motorsports platforms; and our production team continued its best-in-class coverage. We look forward to growing viewership for the sport for many years to come.”
Of note, NBCSN’s coverage reached a total of 4.356 million unique viewers, five races beat the top 2013 race, and Race 2 in Toronto averaged 484,000 viewers to be the most watched since the 2011 Baltimore race (591,000). There were key demographic increases as well: up 13% among Adults 18-49, and up 21% among Adults 25-54 vs. 2013.
The following is a table of the six most-watched IndyCar races of the 2014 season on NBCSN:
|Race||2014 Viewership||2013 Viewership||% Change|
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 0
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0