Sep 3, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Nationwide is officially on Dale Earnhardt Jr.‘s side.
Just a half-hour before NASCAR announced that Comcast’s XFINITY brand in 2015 will replace Nationwide Insurance as the entitlement sponsor for what is now known as the Nationwide Series, the Columbus, Ohio-based insurance company revealed what Earnhardt’s Sprint Cup race car will look like carrying NWI colors.
Those colors — which we’re calling “Junior Blue” — will be heavy on blue and white, similar to the so-called “Petty Blue” on Richard Petty Motorsports’ No. 43 Ford Fusion driven by Aric Almirola.
Nationwide has been the entitlement sponsor for the NNS the last seven seasons. Due to changes in marketing strategy, it elected to let its current contract with NASCAR lapse at the end of this season.
In turn, NWI will become one of Earnhardt’s primary sponsors in the Sprint Cup Series starting in 2015, part of a three-year deal. Nationwide will essentially replace National Guard, which is ending its motorsports sponsorship programs in NASCAR and IndyCar (Graham Rahal) at the end of this season.
Fans will get a sneak preview of sorts of that new sponsorship and the colors in this weekend’s final qualifying race for the Chase for the Sprint Cup at Richmond International Raceway.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0