Sep 4, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Chris Buescher and Ty Dillon were the fastest drivers in Thursday’s pair of Nationwide Series practice sessions at Richmond International Raceway in preparation for Friday’s Virginia529 College Savings 250.
In the first practice, which went for an hour, Buescher (pictured) wasted little time in pacing the field, recording the fastest lap of the session (120.110 mph) on just his second practice spin around the .750-mile track.
Also of note, Kevin Harvick, who won the NNS race at Richmond in April, struggled to find speed, managing a top run of just 116.174 mph. Harvick ran just three laps before bringing his car back into the garage for adjustments.
In the second session of the afternoon, speeds slowed down somewhat while Richard Childress Racing dominated three of the top five spots in the 76-minute effort.
Kyle Busch was second-fastest at 117.714 mph, while Chase Elliott was fourth-fastest (117.632).
A total of 41 cars took to the track in the second session, with Josh Reaume having the slowest effort at 111.478 mph.
Qualifying for Friday’s race will take place earlier that same day at 3:45 pm ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 0
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 5
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0