Michael Waltrip joins Tommy (of Cheech and) Chong and other celebs in new season of ‘Dancing With The Stars’
Sep 4, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
But MWR will be getting a ton of publicity in the weeks to come, regardless.
Only instead of being for on-track exploits, the notoriety will be due to team co-owner Michael Waltrip’s feet.
Literally following in the footsteps of another racer, Helio Castroneves, Waltrip will be among this season’s all-new cast of Dancing With The Stars. Castroneves won the DWTS title in the series’ fifth season in 2007.
Waltrip will be partnered with the beautiful Emma Slater. You can follow the couple’s exploits on Twitter @mw55 (Waltrip’s Twitter feed) and @EmmaSlaterDance.
This year’s edition of DWTS debuts on Monday, Sept. 15, with a live telecast from 8 to 10 pm ET on ABC. Waltrip better have a great performance because the first dancing couple will be eliminated on the next night’s results show on Sept. 16. The series runs through Nov. 24, when the eventual championship pair is crowned.
Ironically enough, if Waltrip advances all the way and wins the DWTS championship, it would come one day after the Sprint Cup championship is awarded at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
In addition to Waltrip, other celebrities that will be doing the salsa, waltz, jitterbug and other kinds of dances includes Tommy Chong (of Cheech and Chong fame), MMA Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Olympic hurdler Lolo Jones, Duck Dynasty’s Sadie Robertson, Back to the Future’s Lea Thompson and radio talk show host Tavis Smiley.
This will be yet another chapter in Waltrip’s long and varied career. In addition to co-owning MWR, he’s a two-time Daytona 500 winner, a noted TV/racing analyst and author of a best-selling biography.
We wish MW good luck. But instead of the old Hollywood axiom of “Break a Leg,” we’ll offer up a more timely bit of advice: “Feet Don’t Fail Me Now.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52