Sep 4, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Six young American drivers will converge on Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., next Monday, September 8, for a shootout to determine who will represent the Team USA Scholarship in the traditional Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch and the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone, England, later in the fall.
This will be 25th year the scholarship has assisted promising American youngsters at an early stage in their careers. Jimmy Vasser was awarded the inaugural Team USA Scholarship in 1990. Subsequent winners have included Bryan Herta (1991), Buddy Rice (1997), A.J. Allmendinger (2001), Charlie Kimball (2003), J.R. Hildebrand (2005), Dane Cameron (2006), Josef Newgarden and Conor Daly (2008), Spencer Pigot (2010/2011) and Tristan Nunez and Matthew Brabham (2012).
This year’s candidates are:
• Ben Auriemma, 16, from Manhasset, N.Y. – currently competing in the Skip Barber Summer Series (4 wins)
• Tristan DeGrand, 18, from St. Louis, Mo. – leads two Canadian F1600 Championships (16 wins)
• Kenton Koch (pronounced “Cook”), 20, from Glendora, Calif. – SCCA Mazda MX-5 Cup points leader (6 wins)
• Garth Rickards, 21, from Mechanicsburg, Pa. – currently second in the F1600 Championship Series (8 podiums)
• Michai (“Muh-KIE”) Stephens, 22, from Evanston, Ill. – competes in the Skip Barber Summer Series (4 wins)
• Aaron Telitz, 22, from Birchwood, Wis. – finished fourth, Rookie of the Year in USF2000 (1 win, 6 podiums)
The shootout will be conducted on the Auto Club Speedway infield road course aboard FR1600 cars provided by Allen Berg Racing Schools, owned by Canadian ex-Formula 1 racer Allen Berg, and running on Cooper tires.
More information here via the Team USA Scholarship website.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
One of A.J. Foyt’s young drivers makes some wiser points beyond his years about Saturday’s race in Fontana.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Sauber names a new technical director.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Feature on Manpower to Horsepower to air during Red Bull GRC show this Sunday on NBC.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
A selection of images from the 2015 Goodwood Festival of Speed.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
SH Rallycross’ HAUS livery for Red Bull GRC this weekend screams red, white and blue.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Given how well they’ve run this year, it was really only a matter of time until Graham Rahal and Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing won a race.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Luca Filippi and Matthew Brabham set for oval tests this Wednesday at Iowa Speedway.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
This weekend’s miserable conditions at Watkins Glen offered a lot of young drivers a chance to shine.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
The 2015 season is the first time Roger Penske has captained four teams on the IndyCar circuit. And it appears it will be full steam ahead with four teams going forward.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT
Comedian and former late-night talk show host Jay Leno has spent his career making millions laugh. But recently, the joke was on Leno, so to speak – but in a good way.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:24 PM EDT
If you’re a big fan of the Indianapolis 500 and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, put this on your bucket list for next year.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT
With five races coming up in the next six weeks, Top Fuel driver Antron Brown knows how crucial this stretch of the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing season will be.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:47 PM EDT
Finishing 13th in her Dale Coyne Racing Honda, Pippa Mann enjoyed the best showing of her IndyCar career in Saturday’s MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Jack Hawksworth enjoyed one of his better runs of 2015 in Saturday’s MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Although it’s been two days since the MAV TV 500, a number of IndyCar drivers are not going to soon forget one of the wildest races the series has seen in a long time.
Jun 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Brazilian driver ends the Formula E season with his best finish of fourth.
Jun 28, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
Westbrook and Valiante take their second win of the year at Watkins Glen.
Jun 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
The IndyCar driver finished 11th and 12th in two races at the London ePrix this weekend.
Jun 28, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
Graham Rahal back on Twitter on Sunday after win on Saturday.
Jun 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Brazilian driver remains upbeat despite losing out on the title to bitter rival Nelson Piquet Jr.
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 0
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 3
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6