Sep 4, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Six young American drivers will converge on Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., next Monday, September 8, for a shootout to determine who will represent the Team USA Scholarship in the traditional Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch and the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone, England, later in the fall.
This will be 25th year the scholarship has assisted promising American youngsters at an early stage in their careers. Jimmy Vasser was awarded the inaugural Team USA Scholarship in 1990. Subsequent winners have included Bryan Herta (1991), Buddy Rice (1997), A.J. Allmendinger (2001), Charlie Kimball (2003), J.R. Hildebrand (2005), Dane Cameron (2006), Josef Newgarden and Conor Daly (2008), Spencer Pigot (2010/2011) and Tristan Nunez and Matthew Brabham (2012).
This year’s candidates are:
• Ben Auriemma, 16, from Manhasset, N.Y. – currently competing in the Skip Barber Summer Series (4 wins)
• Tristan DeGrand, 18, from St. Louis, Mo. – leads two Canadian F1600 Championships (16 wins)
• Kenton Koch (pronounced “Cook”), 20, from Glendora, Calif. – SCCA Mazda MX-5 Cup points leader (6 wins)
• Garth Rickards, 21, from Mechanicsburg, Pa. – currently second in the F1600 Championship Series (8 podiums)
• Michai (“Muh-KIE”) Stephens, 22, from Evanston, Ill. – competes in the Skip Barber Summer Series (4 wins)
• Aaron Telitz, 22, from Birchwood, Wis. – finished fourth, Rookie of the Year in USF2000 (1 win, 6 podiums)
The shootout will be conducted on the Auto Club Speedway infield road course aboard FR1600 cars provided by Allen Berg Racing Schools, owned by Canadian ex-Formula 1 racer Allen Berg, and running on Cooper tires.
More information here via the Team USA Scholarship website.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Dutch driver reportedly seeking an urgent court order that would get him on the grid for the upcoming Australian Grand Prix.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Big night of F1 programming upcoming tonight on NBCSN.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
With neither Hockenheim nor the Nurburgring prepared to host the race in 2015, the outlook is bleak for a German Grand Prix.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
New sponsor, new number (again) for Hinchcliffe’s 2015 IndyCar campaign.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:14 PM EST
Honda hints at more about its aero kits, while tossing out two dates of note.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Look through the Pirelli World Challenge field continues with a look at GTS.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat look to lead the team in the post-Vettel era.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:40 PM EST
Justin Wilson returns to Michael Shank Racing for Sebring one-off.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:09 PM EST
Manor Marussia F1 to make trip to Melbourne after all.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
FIA Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag outlines goals for upcoming two U.S. races, and recaps the first four thus far.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:51 AM EST
Soft and medium the main choice for Pirelli in three of first four Grands Prix.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:14 AM EST
Raffaele Marciello set for Malaysia FP1 appearance at Sauber.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
One to two sentence bullet point rundown on the PWC GT, GTA, GT Cup field heading into COTA and the 2015 season.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
Pippa’s Pink Posse to feature prominently in Komen Race for the Cure, for Central Indiana Affiliate.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
It’s the race to repeat in 2015, but will it be Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg who takes the title?
Mar 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Fernando Alonso’s accident in testing has raised way more questions than answers.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:46 AM EST
Sunoco joins IMS, extends with INDYCAR.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:51 AM EST
Formula E partners with FPL for Miami ePrix; Matty Brabham does the demo runs.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:06 AM EST
Tequila Patron ESM, Rolling Stone come together for one-off outing at 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
Susie Wolff confirmed for Spain, Silverstone FP1 outings and another day in Austria.
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0