Sep 4, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel has dismissed speculation suggesting that he may be set to walk away from Red Bull and join McLaren in the near future, saying that he has plenty of work to do with his current team.
The German driver has won all four of his world championships with Red Bull, and has established himself as one of the sport’s all-time greats.
However, the team has failed to carry its dominant form into the 2014 season, and Vettel has struggled to get to grips with the RB10 car. This has led to suggestions that he could be set to leave the team for a new challenge with McLaren upon the revival of its partnership with engine supplier Honda.
McLaren has made it known that it would like to sign Vettel upon the expiration of his current contract in 2016, but the German driver feels that he has plenty of challenges to be getting on with at Red Bull.
“There’s been a lot of talk. I heard on the Thursday that I signed for $150m for three years. I was asking where the pen was but nobody came back to me!” Vettel joked in a media session at Monza.
“I think it’s normal that you have a lot of talks, but it doesn’t change anything that we do or the normal or regular day basis. We’re not yet where we want to be, particularly on my side, so there’s a lot of work and thoughts going into that, which is my main attention.”
Many leading F1 pundits believe that Vettel must prove himself as a driver outside of the Red Bull setup, but he feels that the challenge of getting the world champions back ahead of Mercedes is his main focus.
“I think at the moment I have plenty of challenges if I’m honest,” he said. “There’s plenty of stuff to do. My situation hasn’t changed.
“I’m happy where I am, but you never know what’s happening in the future. As I said, right now, I don’t feel the need to do something different, so I think that case is fairly boring.
“It’s something I’m not talking to you guys about. I’m not planning to change that, for which I think I have my reasons.
“It’s not the first time I have been approached in the last couple of years which is nice, but not my style to share, sorry again!”
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 0
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 5
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5