WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 pm ET – SpinGate flashback, 14 left to win to get in Chase, Keselowski/Burton
Sep 4, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, we look back in time one year ago at the “SpinGate” controversy at Richmond, as well as this Saturday’s final Chase qualifying race, also at Richmond.
Leigh Diffey and Kyle Petty anchor today’s show from our Charlotte studios.
Here’s more on today’s show rundown:
* In last year’s final Chase qualifying race at Richmond, NASCAR suffered through one of its biggest scandals in years. Many dubbed it “SpinGate,” when Clint Bowyer brought out a caution by appearing to cause his own car to intentionally spin out, with the goal of helping teammate Martin Truex Jr., gain a berth in the Chase. We revisit the incident and dig into how NASCAR’s penalties and rule changes amid the controversy have affected the sport and Bowyer and Truex in particular.
* There are 14 winless drivers outside of the Chase Grid that can punch their ticket into the upcoming playoffs with a win in the regular season finale this Saturday night at Richmond. We discuss which driver is most capable of pulling off the surprise win.
* A radio conversation between Kevin Harvick and crew chief Rodney Childers at Atlanta revealed that there is something different about the air guns used by Joe Gibbs Racing that make them superior to the rest of the field. Our Marty Snider traveled to JGR headquarters to chat with crewman Hollywood Armstrong about their pit lane tools.
If you’re not near a TV, you can CLICK HERE to stream NASCAR AMERICA online and on your mobile device through NBC Sports Live Extra.
If you plan to stream, be sure to have your username and password from your cable/satellite/telco provider handy so your subscription can be verified. Once you plug those pieces of information in, you’ll have access to the stream.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Apr 20, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The joys of return flights home from the West Coast for the IndyCar community..
Apr 20, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Another tough day at office for Honda, Newgarden comes up short of top-five and other tidbits from Long Beach.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Sebastian Saavedra has a clean, quiet, consistent weekend and ended P10 on debut for Ganassi.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
It was a bizarre weekend for Dale Coyne’s No. 18, which saw one driver replaced before the weekend began, one injured before getting the chance to debut, and one finally getting a long overdue shot.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
Long Beach got off to a great start, courtesy of Patrick Stewart’s enthusiastic command to start engines.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
It may have been a routine victory for Lewis Hamilton in Bahrain, but both Nico Rosberg and Kimi Raikkonen showed some of the fight that has been lacking in recent months.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Ferrari team principal believes two mistakes from the four-time world champion cost him a place on the podium in Bahrain.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
A mistake by Sebastian Vettel allows Bottas to take fourth place on Sunday in Bahrain.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
JPM, Helio laugh about the four nationalities represented at Team Penske.
Apr 19, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Bobby Unser praises Scott Dixon, while Dixon himself downplays the accomplishment.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Scott Dixon finally wins in Long Beach.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The nine-time world champion extends his lead at the top of the riders’ championship in MotoGP.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
Dixon leads halfway at Long Beach.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean manages to salvage some points for Lotus in Bahrain, finishing seventh.
Apr 19, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Ed Jones survives streets of Long Beach to win Round 3 for Indy Lights.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Ricciardo finishes the race in a blaze of glory, but holds on to sixth place for Red Bull.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Watch the third round of the IndyCar season, from the streets of Long Beach, at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
German driver was forced to make an unscheduled pit stop towards the end of the race in Bahrain after running over the kerbs at the final corner.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Watch the third round of the Indy Lights season today at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
- Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain 5
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win 2
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 6
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0