WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 pm ET – SpinGate flashback, 14 left to win to get in Chase, Keselowski/Burton
Sep 4, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, we look back in time one year ago at the “SpinGate” controversy at Richmond, as well as this Saturday’s final Chase qualifying race, also at Richmond.
Leigh Diffey and Kyle Petty anchor today’s show from our Charlotte studios.
Here’s more on today’s show rundown:
* In last year’s final Chase qualifying race at Richmond, NASCAR suffered through one of its biggest scandals in years. Many dubbed it “SpinGate,” when Clint Bowyer brought out a caution by appearing to cause his own car to intentionally spin out, with the goal of helping teammate Martin Truex Jr., gain a berth in the Chase. We revisit the incident and dig into how NASCAR’s penalties and rule changes amid the controversy have affected the sport and Bowyer and Truex in particular.
* There are 14 winless drivers outside of the Chase Grid that can punch their ticket into the upcoming playoffs with a win in the regular season finale this Saturday night at Richmond. We discuss which driver is most capable of pulling off the surprise win.
* A radio conversation between Kevin Harvick and crew chief Rodney Childers at Atlanta revealed that there is something different about the air guns used by Joe Gibbs Racing that make them superior to the rest of the field. Our Marty Snider traveled to JGR headquarters to chat with crewman Hollywood Armstrong about their pit lane tools.
If you’re not near a TV, you can CLICK HERE to stream NASCAR AMERICA online and on your mobile device through NBC Sports Live Extra.
If you plan to stream, be sure to have your username and password from your cable/satellite/telco provider handy so your subscription can be verified. Once you plug those pieces of information in, you’ll have access to the stream.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
May 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Hinch heads home.
May 27, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
Wilson and Andretti continue relationship at FE race in Moscow.
May 27, 2015, 9:23 AM EDT
Racing for Cancer to make trip to this year’s Le Mans, with Derek DeBoer in an Aston Martin Vantage GT4.
May 27, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT
The Red Bull GRC season kicks off in Fort Lauderdale this weekend.
May 27, 2015, 7:44 AM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
May 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Chaves best of two first-year drivers in 99th Indianapolis 500.
May 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Look out for Nelson Piquet Jr. and SH Rallycross to have a big year in 2015.
May 26, 2015, 9:04 AM EDT
Daly gets confirmed for this weekend’s pair of races in Detroit.
Juan Pablo Montoya earns nearly $2.5 million for Indy 500 win (full box score with winnings attached)
May 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Team Penske nearly doubles his haul from first Indy 500 win 15 years ago.
May 25, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Runner-up Will Power said it’s as simple as making the cars slower.
May 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
After his second triumph in the Greatest Spectacle in Racing, he is ovewhelmed by congratulatory messages.
Montoya’s Indianapolis 500 win adds another storied chapter to the Roger Penske-Chip Ganassi rivalry
May 25, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
They are the only car owners to win the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 in the same season.
May 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The Mercedes-affiliated youngster clinches his first win of the season around the legendary streets of Monaco.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
After a miserable run of form, Latvala finally climbs to the top step of the podium with a narrow win over Sebastien Ogier in Portugal.
May 25, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Andretti ends sixth, best of the day for the defending Indy 500-winning team, while Hildebrand leads the one-off drivers.
May 25, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Running inside the top ten, Grosjean’s hopes of points were dashed on Sunday in Monaco when Max Verstappen crashed into him.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Townsend Bell’s final blog for the Indianapolis 500 touches on family, meeting Jeff Gordon, and a crazy view from the driver’s seat.
May 25, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
A sixth-place finish in Monaco disappoints Raikkonen, but he lays blame with his poor qualifying form.
May 25, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT
One of Simon Pagenaud’s best oval races to date ends P10 after running top three most of race.
May 25, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The win may have come by accident, but Rosberg etched his place in F1 history on Sunday.
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery 0
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 4
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 11