WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 pm ET – SpinGate flashback, 14 left to win to get in Chase, Keselowski/Burton
Sep 4, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, we look back in time one year ago at the “SpinGate” controversy at Richmond, as well as this Saturday’s final Chase qualifying race, also at Richmond.
Leigh Diffey and Kyle Petty anchor today’s show from our Charlotte studios.
Here’s more on today’s show rundown:
* In last year’s final Chase qualifying race at Richmond, NASCAR suffered through one of its biggest scandals in years. Many dubbed it “SpinGate,” when Clint Bowyer brought out a caution by appearing to cause his own car to intentionally spin out, with the goal of helping teammate Martin Truex Jr., gain a berth in the Chase. We revisit the incident and dig into how NASCAR’s penalties and rule changes amid the controversy have affected the sport and Bowyer and Truex in particular.
* There are 14 winless drivers outside of the Chase Grid that can punch their ticket into the upcoming playoffs with a win in the regular season finale this Saturday night at Richmond. We discuss which driver is most capable of pulling off the surprise win.
* A radio conversation between Kevin Harvick and crew chief Rodney Childers at Atlanta revealed that there is something different about the air guns used by Joe Gibbs Racing that make them superior to the rest of the field. Our Marty Snider traveled to JGR headquarters to chat with crewman Hollywood Armstrong about their pit lane tools.
If you’re not near a TV, you can CLICK HERE to stream NASCAR AMERICA online and on your mobile device through NBC Sports Live Extra.
If you plan to stream, be sure to have your username and password from your cable/satellite/telco provider handy so your subscription can be verified. Once you plug those pieces of information in, you’ll have access to the stream.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Junior speaks highly, already, of new crew chief Greg Ives.
Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Ex-Sauber driver Adrian Sutil calls out F1 pay-driver situation, although it could just be a case of sour grapes.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
A number of tweaks are coming for the global sports car racing series.
Dec 21, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Going back to his dirt track roots, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. finished eighth in the fifth annual Great Clips Battle at the Center in DuQuoin, Ill., on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
The XFINITY Series driver for Richard Childress Racing marries girlfriend Haley Carey.
UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it
Dec 21, 2014, 2:54 PM EST
With just 40 less horsepower than a 2015 Sprint Cup car, the new Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is VERY powerful. One new Hellcat owner, who bought it just one hour earlier, found out the hard way about all that power.
Dec 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
The Outlaw takes on the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Vickers made his full-time return to Sprint Cup action in 2014, which in itself was a victory.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
Paul Menard had a decent season at times in 2014, but fell short of making the Chase in the final qualifying race.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:42 PM EST
New York State’s Empire Racing took the three fastest spots as ARCA completed a two-day open test at Daytona International Speedway.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EST
See NHRA great John Force like you’ve never seen him in this video, shot mainly through the eyes of his grandsons Jacob and Noah.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:16 PM EST
Dr. Dick Berggren will receive yet another prestigious honor in his career. He’ll be inducted into the Maine Motorsports Hall of Fame in April 2015.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
The staff at New Hampshire Motor Speedway got into the holiday spirit, caroling with a unique NASCAR twist in a newly-released video.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:29 PM EST
Matt Henderson, Henderson Motorsports, and local businesses deliver presents and gifts to family in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:29 PM EST
Times Square’s ‘ball drop’ will have nothing on Indianapolis as it lowers an Indy Car as the final seconds of 2014 tick off.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Michael Tatoian has been able to help bring additional events to the Monster Mile beyond its two NASCAR weekends.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Carl Edwards was the most sought-after Sprint Cup free agent in 2014. After more than a decade with Roush Fenway Racing, Edwards announced he will be driving for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:35 PM EST
Red Bull Straight Rhythm is a one-of-a-kind event, featuring an “unwound” supercross track and head-to-head racing. Tune in to NBC to see how it all played out.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
BayernLB sues Ecclestone and his family holding for 345 million Euros.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Dillon made a big first impression and then quietly learned the ropes in Sprint Cup.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 0
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 30
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0