WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 pm ET – SpinGate flashback, 14 left to win to get in Chase, Keselowski/Burton
Sep 4, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, we look back in time one year ago at the “SpinGate” controversy at Richmond, as well as this Saturday’s final Chase qualifying race, also at Richmond.
Leigh Diffey and Kyle Petty anchor today’s show from our Charlotte studios.
Here’s more on today’s show rundown:
* In last year’s final Chase qualifying race at Richmond, NASCAR suffered through one of its biggest scandals in years. Many dubbed it “SpinGate,” when Clint Bowyer brought out a caution by appearing to cause his own car to intentionally spin out, with the goal of helping teammate Martin Truex Jr., gain a berth in the Chase. We revisit the incident and dig into how NASCAR’s penalties and rule changes amid the controversy have affected the sport and Bowyer and Truex in particular.
* There are 14 winless drivers outside of the Chase Grid that can punch their ticket into the upcoming playoffs with a win in the regular season finale this Saturday night at Richmond. We discuss which driver is most capable of pulling off the surprise win.
* A radio conversation between Kevin Harvick and crew chief Rodney Childers at Atlanta revealed that there is something different about the air guns used by Joe Gibbs Racing that make them superior to the rest of the field. Our Marty Snider traveled to JGR headquarters to chat with crewman Hollywood Armstrong about their pit lane tools.
If you’re not near a TV, you can CLICK HERE to stream NASCAR AMERICA online and on your mobile device through NBC Sports Live Extra.
If you plan to stream, be sure to have your username and password from your cable/satellite/telco provider handy so your subscription can be verified. Once you plug those pieces of information in, you’ll have access to the stream.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Sep 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
NBCSN’s Marty Snider has more from Stewart’s press conference today in North Carolina.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Instead of racing to protect his position in the Chase, Jeff Gordon went into attack mode Sunday at Dover – and it paid off with a win. Check out his Victory Lane interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Kelli Stavast here.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
All the notes and numbers to keep in mind as the Contender Round begins on Kansas’ 1.5-mile oval.
Sep 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Coming up: Highlights from the first cut race of the Chase; reports on Kevin Harvick’s tire failure and Hendrick Motorsports; Tony Stewart speaks about trying to carry on after his involvement in a fatal sprint car accident.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Josef Newgarden ends P13 in 2014, after a year where an overall top-10 finish was possible.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
A nice display of sportsmanship after a tough day at the Monster Mile.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
It was a tough year for James Hinchcliffe, who ended P12 in the IndyCar points.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Hamilton hopes to join the list of famous names that have won at Suzuka, while Rosberg turns the page on his disappointing Singapore Grand Prix.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Briscoe’s return to IndyCar was quiet, clean and productive.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Simon Pagenaud leaves the past behind, and readies for Team Penske opportunity.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Lack of bonus points notwithstanding, Logano’s pleased about where he and his No. 22 Team Penske crew stand going into the next round of the Chase.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The latest young drivers to earn Team USA Scholarship are named.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Also: Tony Stewart opens up; IndyCar’s Simon Pagenaud jumps to Team Penske; and the stage is set for a wild season finale in Red Bull Global Rallycross.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
P14 for Tony Stewart at Dover felt like one of his better runs of the season, he explained Monday.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Tony Stewart addresses the questions, and faces the media, in Charlotte.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Pagenaud to Penske means IndyCar’s “big three” now have 12 cars between them – four apiece.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Simon Pagenaud makes it official: he’s driving for Team Penske in 2015.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Gabby Chaves (pictured) and Rodolfo Gonzalez set for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports IndyCar tests.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
8Star Motorsports commits to Indy Lights with first car order placed.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2