Sep 5, 2014, 6:00 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso believes that Lewis Hamilton’s experience from previous title fights makes him the favorite to win this year’s Formula 1 world championship.
The Spanish driver raced alongside the Briton at McLaren in 2007 as both fought for the drivers’ championship, only for Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen to snatch the title at the final round.
Hamilton went on to win his only world title in 2008, but was also in contention for the 2010 championship until the last round of the season. This year, he is looking to secure his first championship since joining Mercedes, and finds himself embroiled in a tight battle with teammate Nico Rosberg at the top of the standings.
For Rosberg, this season marks his first shot at a championship since making his F1 debut back in 2006.
Speaking to NBCSN in the Monza paddock yesterday, Alonso said that he thinks this experience will aid Hamilton come the final few races of the season.
“I don’t think that Lewis needs any learning for the fight,” the Ferrari driver explained. “I think he has the talent and he has the abilities to fight for the championship already from the first year that he arrived.
“It is true that in this fight he is maybe more ready because it is not the first time that he will fight for a world championship.
“That when there is one race to go could make a difference, and probably right now, he is the favorite.”
Alonso was also asked about his future with Ferrari, and once again said that he will be looking to stay with the team for 2015 relying that everything is in place.
“I think my intention is to be with them, and to win with Ferrari,” he said. “My priority is to win the world championship, and I have two more years with Ferrari and we need to create this project to come back to the top.
“If nothing [strange] happens, I should be at Ferrari next year.”
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 2
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0