Sep 5, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Mario Andretti and Sergio Perez have both spoken exclusively to NBCSN about their excitement for the United States Grand Prix, which is set to take place at the Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas this November.
Since returning to the calendar at COTA in 2012, the race has been a great success, welcoming fans from all over the world. The event has also proven to be a hit with the drivers and teams, and for Andretti, 2014 could prove to be the best race yet.
“Well obviously hopefully better than ever,” he said when asked by NBCSN’s Will Buxton how the race would be this year. “This started out as a huge success, and we want to gain momentum every year, more and more.
“We’re excited about it. The buzz is out there.”
Andretti is visiting Monza for the first time in 31 years this weekend to promote the race, and has been giving out Stetson hats to all of the drivers to get them in the Texan spirit.
“I’m here as a sheriff to officially welcome again the drivers as my deputies! As you can see, I’ll be giving them one of these hats [Stetsons] so they can play the part when they come to Texas, so they look like they’re Texans and enjoy the hospitality.”
Andretti was on hand to commentate on a sim race between Buxton and Force India driver Sergio Perez, which you can watch in this weekend’s episode of Paddock Pass.
For Perez, the race is also an important one. In the absence of a Mexican Grand Prix, Austin acts as his home event given that it is so close to the border, allowing flocks of Mexican fans to make the trip over.
“Yeah it is, really close to my home,” Perez said. “Right now it’s probably my home race because it’s so close and so many Mexicans come to watch the race, so it’s really a great weekend for me where I receive a lot of support.”
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10