Sep 5, 2014, 5:32 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has finished fastest in the first free practice session for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza on Friday morning.
The Mercedes driver posted a quickest lap time of 1:26.187 to finish over six-tenths clear of McLaren’s Jenson Button in second place, while Nico Rosberg could only come home two-tenths further back in third.
[ VIDEO: Watch full replay of FP2 ]
Hamilton heads into this weekend’s race at Monza in search of his first win since the British Grand Prix at the beginning of July. Over the past three races, Rosberg has managed to extend his lead at the top of the drivers’ championship to 29 points, and their intra-team relationship has soured following a run-in at the Belgian Grand Prix.
In the first practice session on Friday though, Hamilton was the man to come out on top, even if he did run wide on one occasion. He recovered well by giving the fans a quick wave from his cockpit.
Fernando Alonso gave the Ferrari fans in Italy something to smile about by finishing fourth, and with Kimi Raikkonen in seventh, the team may be in better stead at Monza than many expected. Kevin Magnussen backed up Button’s charge to P2 by finishing fifth, suggesting that McLaren could be set for one of its best results of the year at Monza. However, the team did have to fix a problem with the headrest on Button’s car when it came loose.
Red Bull enjoyed a less successful session, though. Sebastian Vettel finished fifth, but teammate Daniel Ricciardo had to settle for 16th place thanks to a problem on his RB10 car.
Sergio Perez finished eighth for Force India in a limited session after he handed the car over to reserve driver Daniel Juncadella for the first thirty minutes. The Spaniard finished down in 17th place.
Roberto Merhi got his first taste of a Formula 1 car during practice for Caterham, and finished two-tenths up on full-time driver Marcus Ericsson at the back of the field. Charles Pic could only finish 21st for Lotus in his first practice run of the season.
Be sure to join us for FP2 live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET today.
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 0
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 13
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10