Sep 5, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
This morning, Nationwide Insurance has announced that it has expanded its pact with Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Hendrick Motorsports, and will become the 88 team’s majority sponsor from 2015-2017.
NWI will now serve as primary sponsor for Earnhardt in 21 Sprint Cup races during each of the next three seasons.
Back in May, NWI was announced to be in that role for 12 races in 2015, and then 13 races in both the 2016 and 2017 campaigns.
“We’re thrilled to be deepening our partnership with the Hendrick Motorsports team,” said NWI’s chief marketing officer, Matt Jauchius, in an HMS release. “We look forward to seeing Nationwide on the No. 88 for NASCAR’s biggest races over the next three seasons.”
NWI is getting an early start on its backing of NASCAR’s most popular driver this weekend at Richmond International Raceway, where Earnhardt is previewing his blue and white NWI paint scheme for 2015.
“That Nationwide has already elected to grow the sponsorship sends a clear message about the opportunities they see and how well our teams are working together,” HMS owner Rick Hendrick said in a statement.
“It’s quickly become a strong relationship, and we’re committed to building on that foundation and delivering results in every facet of the program.”
Earnhardt himself called NWI’s decision “extremely gratifying” and added that “having this kind of support and seeing so many positive things happening around the team feels really good.”
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 0
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9