Sep 5, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Following Lewis Hamilton’s timesheet-topping escapades in the first free practice session for the Italian Grand Prix, the rest of the field will get a second chance to cut the gap during FP2 on Friday afternoon at Monza.
Mercedes teammate and championship rival Nico Rosberg had to settle for third place during FP1, and he will be keen to bounce back and redress the balance against Hamilton as their title battle rages on at one of the sport’s most famous circuits.
However, the likes of McLaren, Williams and Red Bull will also be hoping to get in the mix towards the head of the field.
You can watch FP2 live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
Hamilton’s pace in the first session was certainly impressive. The Briton pulled out a six-tenths of a second gap over the rest of the field, and he was followed home by former McLaren teammate Jenson Button. With Kevin Magnussen finishing fifth in the sister MP4-29, the signs are certainly positive for the British team at Monza.
Ferrari showed some promising pace in the first session, but the prancing horse is expecting to struggle on home soil. Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen will have the Monza crowd right behind them, though, and this could yet lift them further up teh grid.
FP2 will see Romain Grosjean, Giedo van der Garde and Kamui Kobayashi all return to their cars after stepping aside in the first session to allow their teams’ junior drivers some seat time. For Kobayashi, this will be his first session since the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Be sure to join us for FP2 live on NBCSN and Live Extra at 8am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP qualifying at 5a ET on NBCSN and Live Extra 0
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 2
- The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’? 5
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0